Join Forestry England ranger, Greg Kerr, for a relaxed guided walk for the whole family at Savernake Forest, just south of Marlborough.
We will see beautiful, ancient trees dotted along the trail. We will explore their features and creatures, and look at how to identify them. We’ll do plenty of wildlife spotting and talk about the way Forestry England manages these beautiful places. There will be optional activities following the walk, including ‘meet a tree’ and making critter homes.
We will walk at a gentle pace suitable for prams and pushchairs, wheelchairs and little legs. Postern Hill has lots of picnic tables if you would like to bring your own picnic for before or after the walk. Please do bring drinks to stay hydrated during the afternoon.
Please note: this walk is fully booked but you can join a waiting list through our booking system.
Walk leader/organisation: Greg Kerr, Forestry England
- Booking: Free – Booking essential – 25 places
- Distance & approximate duration: 1.5 miles (2.4 km) – 2 hours
- Difficulty: Easy (pretty flat, good paths).
- Accessibility: Family friendly. Under 18s must be accompanied by an adult (see useful information). Suitable for wheelchairs and prams/pushchairs.
- Dogs: Dogs on leads welcome
- Refreshments: Bring snacks and drinks as needed. There are no amenities on the route (see below). Walkers are welcome to picnic before or after the walk at Postern Hill.
- Toilets: There are public toilets at Postern Hill car park.
- Meeting point: Middle of Postern Hill car park by Forestry England information boards, Savernake Forest, Marlborough, SN8 4ND. What3Words: prices.highbrow.object. OS grid reference: SU 199 680.
- Public transport: Postern Hill bus stop is located on Salisbury Hill, Marlborough, SN8 4ND – 2 minutes’ walk away from the meeting point. For timings, see Stagecoach.
- Parking: Free parking at Postern Hill car park, SN8 4ND.
For general booking information, health and safety advice, terms and conditions please see our useful information page.
Marlborough town centre and its facilities (High Street) are only 1.5 miles from the walk’s meeting point, see Marlborough.
Savernake Forest is one of England’s most special forests with a history reaching back more than 1,000 years. The forest’s unique landscapes and habitats include thousands of fascinating veteran trees, rare plants and animals, walking opportunities, and endless adventures. See Savernake Forest or find us on Facebook.
Forests care for us. Together we care for forests. For more than 100 years, we have been growing, shaping and caring for over 1,500 of our nation’s forests for the benefit and enjoyment of all, for this generation and the next. Find out more at Forestry England.
This walk is brought to you by our partner: