Starting at the pretty village of Ramsbury, the walk passes through stunning countryside and wooded valleys, before reaching the Tudor mansion of Littlecote House. There’s plenty more history to take in as the return passes a Roman villa.
The leader, Ted Hiscocks, will enlighten walkers on the main points of interest: Ramsbury village, once on the main road between London and Bristol; the airfield on Spring Hill and its role in the Second World War; the Littlecote estate and some of its more interesting occupants; and the Roman villa next to the River Kennet, which houses an impressive mosaic.
Bring snacks and drinks to enjoy along the way. Remember a hat and suncream if the weather is hot and waterproofs if wet. The route can get muddy, so wear suitable boots. The walk climbs a hill near the start, but is then reasonably gentle and flat.
NOTE: This walk is currently fully booked but you can join a waiting list
through the booking system.
Walk leader/organisation: Ted Hiscocks, North Wessex Downs Landscape Trust
- Booking: Free – Booking essential – 15 places
- Distance & approximate duration: 5 miles (8 km) – 3 hours
- Difficulty: Fairly easy (some gentle inclines, steps/stiles).
- Accessibility: Suitable for older children (12+). Under 18s must be accompanied by an adult (see useful information). Not suitable for wheelchairs.
- Dogs: No dogs
- Refreshments: Bring snacks and drinks as needed. There are amenities in Ramsbury where the walk meets (see below).
- Toilets: There are public toilets adjacent to the Memorial Hall and Holy Cross Church.
- Meeting point: The Square, Ramsbury, Marlborough, SN8 2PE. What3Words: lawful.theory.likening. OS grid reference: SU 275 716.
- Public transport: Buses available from Marlborough, Hungerford and Swindon, for details see Stagecoach.
- Parking: Free on-street parking on and around Scholard’s Lane, Ramsbury.
For general booking information, health and safety advice, terms and conditions please see our useful information page.
The village of Ramsbury, where the walk starts and ends, has a couple of cafés, shops and a pub to enjoy. See Ramsbury & Axford.
The North Wessex Downs Landscape Trust (NWD LT) is the registered charity that supports the work of the North Wessex Downs AONB. For more information or to get in involved, see North Wessex Downs Landscape Trust.
This walk is brought to you by our partner: