An interesting wildlife and landscape walk, starting and ending in the village of Pewsey. The walk goes to Wiltshire Wildlife Trust’s Jones’s Mill Nature Reserve – a very special wetland habitat with the River Avon running through it. The reserve is home to a range of watery wildlife, such as water voles, dragonflies, the elusive water shrew, and birds like kingfisher, snipe and heron. From there, the walk continues along the Kennet & Avon Canal to Pewsey Wharf and then back into Pewsey village centre.
This is not a strenuous walk and will be taken at a steady pace. Please bring snacks and drinks along if you would like to. After the walk, there’s also the chance to enjoy a delicious lunch in one of the pubs or cafés of Pewsey.
Walk leader/organisation: Susie Brew, Pewsey Vale Tourism Partnership
- Booking: Free – Booking essential – 15 places
- Distance & approximate duration: 3.5 miles (6 km) – 2 hours
- Difficulty: Fairly easy (some gentle inclines, steps/stiles).
- Accessibility: Suitable for older children (12+). Under 18s must be accompanied by an adult (see useful information). Steps/stiles on the route. Not suitable for wheelchairs.
- Dogs: Dogs on leads welcome
- Refreshments: Bring snacks and drinks as needed. There are amenities in Pewsey where the walk meets (see below).
- Toilets: There are public toilets at North Street car park.
- Meeting point: Entrance to North Street car park, Goddard Road, Pewsey, Wiltshire, SN9 5EQ. What3Words: rested.scuba.cools. OS grid reference: SU 162 601.
- Public transport: Mainline railway station in Pewsey (about 10 minutes’ walk from the meeting point), serviced by Great Western Railway. Bus connections to Marlborough, Swindon, Salisbury and Devizes. See bus times, Pewsey
- Parking: Free parking at North Street car park, SN9 5EQ.
For general booking information, health and safety advice, terms and conditions please see our useful information page.
There are plenty of refreshments, cafés and pubs in Pewsey, see Visit Pewsey Vale.
For more information about other walks and cycle rides in The Pewsey Vale, see Visit Pewsey Vale.
For information on Jones’s Mill Nature Reserve, see Wiltshire Wildlife Trust.
This walk is organised by the Pewsey Vale Tourism Partnership – a voluntary, not-for-profit organisation. For more walks and information on the area, see Visit Pewsey Vale.
This walk is brought to you by our partner: