Join Forestry England’s Community Ranger to explore the wonderful woodlands of Savernake!
Located just south of Marlborough, Savernake Forest is one of England’s most special forests with a history reaching back more than 1,000 years. This guided walk will take you behind the scenes to learn about how the forest’s unique landscapes and habitats are being preserved and enhanced alongside Savernake’s important role in producing sustainable timber for the UK.
Along the walk, we will meet some of Savernake’s famous and ecologically important veteran trees and learn how they are protected and nurtured. We will look at the challenges of managing such a diverse and important working forest, and discuss the abundance of exciting – and often rare – wildlife in the forest. There will be plenty of opportunities for questions.
We will be walking on footpaths and trails that may be muddy and uneven, so please wear supportive footwear with a good grip. Come prepared for an evening outdoors with layers, snacks and water.
Walk leader/organisation: Sian Brewer, Forestry England
- Booking: Free – Booking essential – 24 places
- Distance & approximate duration: 2 miles (3.2 km) – 2 hours
- Difficulty: Easy (pretty flat, good paths).
- Accessibility: Suitable for older children (12+). Under 18s must be accompanied by an adult (see useful information). Not suitable for wheelchairs.
- Dogs: No dogs
- Refreshments: Bring snacks and drinks as needed. There are no amenities on the route (see below).
- Toilets: There are public toilets at Postern Hill car park.
- Meeting point: Postern Hill car park, Savernake Forest, Marlborough, SN8 4ND. What3Words: loafing.hotspots.drags. OS grid reference: SU 199 681.
- Public transport: There are no bus services in the evening.
- Parking: Free parking at Postern Hill car park, SN8 4ND.
For general booking information, health and safety advice, terms and conditions please see our useful information page.
Marlborough town centre and its facilities (High Street) are only 1.5 miles from the walk’s meeting point, see Marlborough.
Savernake Forest is one of England’s most special forests with a history reaching back more than 1,000 years. The forest’s unique landscapes and habitats include thousands of fascinating veteran trees, rare plants and animals, walking opportunities, and endless adventures. See Savernake Forest or find us on Facebook.
Forests care for us. Together we care for forests. For more than 100 years, we have been growing, shaping and caring for over 1,500 of our nation’s forests for the benefit and enjoyment of all, for this generation and the next. Find out more at Forestry England.
This walk is brought to you by our partner: