Cocklebury is a family run farm focused on sustainability. Cocklebury strives hard to encourage and protect wildlife, while also working the farm with Aberdeen Angus cattle and taking enough hay each year to see the herd through the winter months.
This family focused and educational farm walk will be about 1.5 miles in total, taking around 2 hours to complete at an ambling pace. There will be plenty of stops along the way to explain how the farm works (water pumping, cattle handling, hay-making) and to look at farm machinery (cattle corral, telehandler, tractor). The group will also have the chance to feed some of the cattle – they can’t resist an apple! Bat boxes and beehives are found along the way.
There is lots of history and wildlife to discover on site! We are likely to spot hares, herons, buzzards, kites, kestrels, swallows, swans, pheasants and many more species. Wildlife Bingo sheets will be provided for the children, as well as a make-your-own template.
There are plenty of pretty views to be found when walking around Cocklebury, and walkers are welcome to bring drinks and snacks to have at stops.
NOTE: This walk is currently fully booked but you can join a waiting list
through the booking system.
Walk leader/organisation: Laura Lovelace, Cocklebury Farm
- Booking: Free – Booking essential – 12 places
- Distance & approximate duration: 1.5 miles (2.4 km) – 2 hours
- Difficulty: Fairly easy (some gentle inclines, steps/stiles).
- Accessibility: Family friendly. Under 18s must be accompanied by an adult (see useful information). Not suitable for wheelchairs or prams/pushchairs.
- Dogs: No dogs
- Refreshments: Bring snacks and drinks as needed. After the event, walkers are welcome to picnic at the farm on the grassy area next to the parking.
- Toilets: There is a bathroom in the office building (up steps) by the meeting point.
- Meeting point: Car park next to Cocklebury Farm Office, Cocklebury Farm, Woodborough Road, Woodborough, SN9 5PD. What3Words: thrilled.assemble.wonderful. OS grid reference: SU 129 605.
- Public transport: There is no public transport, but the meeting point is 3 miles cycling from Pewsey.
- Parking: Free private parking at Cocklebury Farm, SN9 5PD. Vehicles are left at owners’ risk.
For general booking information, health and safety advice, terms and conditions please see our useful information page.