This walk is a celebration of a lovely new nature trail for Marlborough, implemented by the Town Council and brought alive by Action for River Kennet (ARK).
From the meeting point, we go to Cooper’s Meadow, where you can enjoy chalk stream wildlife. We will follow the riverside path out to the busy London road, before rejoining the peace and tranquillity of the award-winning Stonebridge Wild River Reserve. A designated wildlife site, wear your wellies for river-dipping and learn about the important invertebrates that underpin a healthy river. Hopefully, we may even glimpse a kingfisher or a water vole!
The walk then heads over to the Green, taking in some of the town’s hidden gems, such as Wye House Gardens and Plume of Feathers, before ending up at the Waterfront at Kennet Place – here, a community garden and an established wildlife sanctuary can be found.
Family friendly and full of interesting detail, you can expect to see bees, birds and bugs, as well as wildflowers and wetlands. Anna Forbes, ARK Senior Project Officer, will guide you, sharing her knowledge and passion about our local chalk streams and the plants, fish, birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates that they support.
Walk leader/organisation: Anna Forbes, ARK
- Booking: £5 per adult, £3 per child (under 16) – Booking essential – 20 places
- Distance & approximate duration: 2.7 miles (4.3 km) – 3 hours
- Difficulty: Fairly easy (some gentle inclines, steps/stiles).
- Accessibility: Family friendly. Under 18s must be accompanied by an adult (see useful information). Not suitable for wheelchairs or prams/pushchairs.
- Dogs: No dogs
- Refreshments: Bring snacks and drinks as needed. There are amenities in the town centre (see below).
- Toilets: There are public toilets at the meeting point (20p charge).
- Meeting point: Tourist Information Point next to the public toilets in the George Lane car park, Marlborough, SN8 1BE. What3Words: faster.different.alcove. OS grid reference: SU 189 689.
- Public transport: Marlborough town centre is serviced by a number of bus routes, see Connecting Wiltshire. It is a short walk to the meeting point from the bus stops on the High Street.
- Parking: Paid parking at George Lane car park, SN8 1BE.
For general booking information, health and safety advice, terms and conditions please see our useful information page.
For amenities before or after the walk, see Marlborough.
Find out more about the Nature Trail at Marlborough Town Council – Nature Trail (marlborough-tc.gov.uk)
Find tourist information, events and community links at Marlborough Town Council.
For more information about local charity, Action for the River Kennet, see ARK.
For more information about Stonebridge Wild River Reserve, see Stonebridge.
This walk is brought to you by our partners: