Enjoy the fantastic landscape around you on this energetic walk led by Ashley Sandy from WALX Wessex – a local Nordic walking group. But you don’t need to be a Nordic walker, or have poles, to join this walk!
Firstly heading through West Woods on forest trails, we will visit a hidden long barrow in the woods, before emerging into open farmland to reach Huish Hill. The ascent at this point is fairly gentle and the views from Huish Hill towards Salisbury Plain are very rewarding. We then walk along a grassy section towards Gopher Woods, making our way through this ancient forest. We emerge from Gopher Woods to wonderful views across the Pewsey Vale – a great place to take a break and enjoy the landscape. We return down the hill and enter West Woods again, picking up the ancient Wansdyke trail.
The walk is around 7-8 miles (exact route will depend on ground conditions on the day) and will take 3.5 hours. We will break about halfway for a snack, using a grassy area overlooking the Pewsey Vale, so bring something to sit on.
Please dress for the weather on the day and make sure you have a small backpack and sufficient water. The forest trail may be muddy in places. You are welcome to use poles on the walk, but these are optional.
Walk leader/organisation: Ashley Sandy, WALX Wessex
- Booking: Free – Booking essential – 20 places
- Distance & approximate duration: 7 miles (11 km) – 3.5 hours
- Difficulty: Moderate (more challenging, for keen/active walkers).
- Accessibility: Not suitable for children. Not suitable for wheelchairs.
- Dogs: Dogs on leads welcome
- Refreshments: Bring snacks and drinks as needed. We will stop for a short break at the halfway point on a grassy area, so bring something to sit on. There are no amenities along the route (see below).
- Toilets: There are no public toilets on the route (see below).
- Meeting point: West Woods car park at Clatford, SN8 4DZ. What3Words: delved.expansion.drizzly. OS grid reference: SU 161 666.
- Public transport: None available.
- Parking: Free parking at West Woods car park, SN8 4DZ – a remote car park with no facilities.
For general booking information, health and safety advice, terms and conditions please see our useful information page.
Marlborough town centre is less than 10 minutes’ drive north-east from the meeting point. You can find refreshments and toilets here, see Marlborough.
Find tourist information, events and community links at Marlborough Town Council.
The Oddfellows pub is 6 minutes’ drive north in Manton, see The Oddfellows.
This walk is brought to you by our partner: