This 4.5-mile, evening walk explores the undulating countryside around the Berkshire village of Hampstead Norreys. The mix of woods and fields offers good opportunities to spot wildlife, such as deer and owls. We will walk at a moderate pace, but pause for discoveries along the way, such as flora, fauna and local history.
Your guide on this walk will be Philippa, an experienced, qualified outdoor leader who is passionate about the Downs. Philippa will always share her wealth of knowledge to give you a unique and rewarding walk experience – more than just a walk!
Paths are rough and uneven in part and may be muddy. The total ascent will be approx. 450ft/140m. We plan to finish our walk just after sunset, so please dress appropriately for a walk in the countryside and wrap up warm. A small rucksack is useful for personal items, such as water, snacks, etc., and a good torch is essential.
The White Hart Inn in Hampstead Norreys is less than half a mile from the walk meeting point and offers opportunities for refreshments before or after the event.
NOTE: This walk is currently fully booked but you can join a waiting list
through the booking system.
Walk leader/organisation: Philippa Sanders, Pipsticks Walks
- Booking: £10 adult, £6 child (under 18) – Booking essential – 10 places
- Distance & approximate duration: 4.5 miles (7.5 km) – 2.5 hours
- Difficulty: Moderate (more challenging, for keen/active walkers).
- Accessibility: Suitable for older children (12+). Under 18s must be accompanied by an adult (see useful information). Not suitable for wheelchairs.
- Dogs: No dogs
- Refreshments: Bring snacks and drinks as needed. Walkers are welcome to enjoy optional refreshments at the nearby White Hart Inn before or after the walk (pay locally, see below).
- Toilets: There are no public toilets on the route (see below).
- Meeting point: Hampstead Norreys recreation ground/village hall car park, Newbury Hill, Hampstead Norreys; nearest postcode: RG18 0TR. What3Words: only.farmed.jugs. OS grid reference: SU 527 763.
- Public transport: None available.
- Parking: Free parking at Hampstead Norreys recreation ground/village hall car park, RG18 0TR, or roadside parking by the church.
For general booking information, health and safety advice, terms and conditions please see our useful information page.
For refreshments and toilets, before or after the walk, the White Hart Inn, Church Street, Hampstead Norreys, Thatcham, Berkshire, RG18 0TB, is recommended. See White Hart Inn
The Hampstead Norreys Community Shop is open until 6pm. See Community Shop and Cafe
This walk is brought to you by our partner: