This is a lovely walk through some of North Hampshire’s most beautiful countryside. We visit the impressive historic Grade II listed Titt-geared wind engine in the small village of Crux Easton. The route takes us for a stretch along the long distance Wayfarer’s Walk, with extensive views of the Highclere Stud, Beacon Hill and Ladle Hill. We will stop for refreshments (bring your own) at Heaven’s Gate – an unusual brick-built architectural folly on the Highclere estate.
Walk Leader/organisation: Brian and Barry from Whitchurch Walkers are Welcome
- Booking: Free – Booking essential – 20 places
- Distance & approximate duration: 5.7 miles – approx 3 hours
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Accessibility: Not suitable for wheelchairs. Suitable for older children.
- Dogs: Dogs on leads welcome
- Nearby Refreshments: Short stops for refreshments at Heaven’s Gate and/or at Crux Easton (bring your own) Suggestions for cafes, pubs accommodation are below.
- Closest Toilets: No public toilets
- Meeting point: Lower Woodcott Farm. Access from A34 junction just south of Litchfield at SU 443 548. What3Words: Smooth.Daredevil.Lordship
- Public Transport: Infrequent No. 7 bus service 1 mile from start. Otherwise access by car or cycle.
- Public car parks: Limited car parking on the grass verges a few yards south of the start point, so please car share if possible.
For general booking information, health and safety advice, terms and conditions please see our useful information page.
Link to walk map and directions from the Whitchurch Town Website: Wayfarers-Walk-and-Crux-Easton.pdf (whitchurch.org.uk)
Food and Accommodation
- The Highclere Red House, Andover Road, Highclere RG20 9PU (4 miles) 01635 255531 thehighclereredhouse.com
- The Jack Russell Inn at Faccombe, SP11 0DS (5 miles) 01264 737315 https://thejackrussellinn.com
- Carpenters Arms at Burghclere, RG20 9JY (6 miles) 01635 278251 carpentersarms-burghclere.co.uk
- Pubs and Coffee shops in Whitchurch (5 miles)
- Whitchurch Silk Mill café (5 miles)
- Whitchurch Silk Mill (5 miles) 10.30 am – 5pm Whitchurch Silk Mill – Industrial heritage museum in rural Hampshire
- Sandham Memorial Chapel, Burghclere (6 miles) Open 11 am – 3 pm – National Trust property; a chapel housing visionary paintings by Stanley Spencer. Sandham Memorial Chapel | National Trust
Whitchurch Hants is a member of the national Walkers are Welcome scheme, which aims to support and encourage walking in the local area, for residents and visitors alike. Apart from promoting walks, local Walkers are Welcome volunteers help to maintain and improve footpaths in the area. For more information, see Explore Further Afield – Whitchurch, Hampshire, Town Website
This walk is brought to you by our partner: