Please Note: this walk has already happened.
National Grid is working with local groups on plans to remove pylons to the north of Devizes. Their aim is to get permission to replace them with cables underground, transforming the Devizes skyline.
Join members of the National Grid project team working on this landmark landscape for an afternoon walk to explore Roundway Hill, the site of the Civil War Battle of Roundway Down. Learn about the archaeological finds that have been made so far and what the team expects to find in future. Discover why the landscape around the Millennium White Horse has been singled out for special attention. Hear about the engineering and environmental challenges involved when removing an overhead line and replacing it with cables underground. Find out about how the local community can get involved and work with National Grid to help it go underground
Walk Leader/organisation: Ben Smith, the Project Manager from National Grid
- Booking: Free – Booking essential – 20 places
- Distance & approximate duration: 4 miles – 2 hours
- Difficulty: Moderate. Resting points available as required.
- Accessibility: Not suitable for wheelchairs. Suitable for older children.
- Dogs: Dogs on leads welcome
- Nearby Refreshments: There is a range of cafes and pubs in Devizes.
- Closest Toilets: In Devizes
- Meeting point: Millennium White Horse car park, Roundway, Devizes SN10 2HZ. Grid Ref SU 014 641 What3Words: wiggling.dusty.picture
- Public Transport: Nearest public transport Devizes, approximately 1.5 miles.
- Public car parks: Millennium White Horse car park, Roundway, Devizes SN10 2HZ. Parking is free.
For general booking information, health and safety advice, terms and conditions please see our useful information page.
For more information about National Grid’s undergrounding work, , see Going underground: improving the landscape in Devizes – North Wessex Downs (nationalgrid.co.uk)
For information about the Millennium White Horse, see Wiltshire White Horses: The new Devizes white horse
This walk is brought to you by our partner: