Please Note: this walk has already happened.
A leisurely walk from the village of Calstone Wellington along the valley of the river Marden to its source in Ranscombe Bottom. If the gates are locked we will need to cross a couple of stiles. Cherhill and Calstone Combes are National Trust nature reserves, maintained by conservation grazing. In June, there are 16 species of butterflies, plus moths and farmland birds – skylark, yellowhammer, corn bunting, stonechat – which we may be lucky enough to see. There are also chalk downland flowers. We can follow Ranscombe Bottom or venture into the side combes to look for the flowers and butterflies. We return the same way to the village.
There will be a handout with information on what we should see.
Walk Leader/organisation: Judy from North-West Wiltshire Ramblers
- Booking: Free – 20 places – booking essential
- Distance & approximate duration: 3.75 miles – about 2 hours
- Difficulty: Fairly easy – along road, track, edge of field then over grass. Walkers can stay on flat bottom of combe rather than venturing up and down slopes (ascent 82m) and still be part of walk
- Accessibility: Not suitable for pushchairs or wheelchairs. Suitable for older children. Possibly 2 stiles if farm gates not open.
- Dogs: Sorry, no dogs
For general booking information, health and safety advice, terms and conditions please see our useful information page.
- Meeting point: Meet on the verge by Manor Farm, Calstone SN11 8PY. Grid Ref: SU 023 684. What3Words: whirlwind.pictured.bluffs
- Public Transport: No buses on Sundays. Lift available by Ramblers members from Chippenham or Calne. (See below)
- Parking: Park on verge at Manor Farm
- Nearby Refreshments: Black Horse Inn on A4 The Black Horse (theblackhorsecherhill.com). Hot food van in layby on A4. Could have picnic in the combe as easy to find way back.
- Closest Toilets: At the Black Horse Inn
If you would like a lift from Chippenham or Calne, please contact the walk leader after booking (their number will be on your booking confirmation)
For more information and other walks, see North West Wiltshire Ramblers
For general information on the Ramblers and to find other groups and walks near you, see https://www.ramblers.org.uk/
For information on Cherhill Down, see Calstone and Cherhill Downs | National Trust
This walk is brought to you by our partner: