Please Note: this walk has already happened.
A leisurely midsummer walk in the historic Avebury Area. We start from the Old Bath Road/Wessex Ridgeway and head towards Avebury passing Beckhampton Long Barrow then the field with the Long Stones (Adam and Eve). We can make a short detour over a stile to walk through the wildflower meadow, up to the stones then back to the route. We head into Avebury Trusloe then out on a by-way (views to barrows on Windmill Hill) then head back towards the Downs. We return over Knoll Down. If the sun is shining, there will still be butterflies flying and we should be able to hear corn buntings.
Notes on the setting and wildlife will be provided.
Walk Leader/organisation: Judy from North-West Wiltshire Ramblers
- Booking: Free – 20 places – booking essential
- Distance & approximate duration: 3 miles – about 1.5 hours
- Difficulty: Fairly easy, bridleways and byways, one stile (optional to get closer to Long Stones), 63m ascent
- Accessibility: Not suitable for wheelchairs. Just about accessible by pushchair (with help).
- Dogs: Dogs on leads welcome
For general booking information, health and safety advice, terms and conditions please see our useful information page.
- Meeting point: Lay-by on A4 (the Ridgeway/ Old Bath Road) 0.7 mile north-west of Beckhampton. Grid Ref SU076 692. What3Words: Shopper.optimists.amuse
- Public Transport: Walk is after last bus. If you would like a lift from Chippenham or Calne, please see below
- Parking: Parking in lay-by
- Nearby Refreshments: Waggon & Horses on A4 waggonhorsesbeckhampton.co.uk
- Closest Toilets: At the Waggon & Horses
If you would like a lift from Chippenham or Calne, please contact the walk leader after booking (their number will be on your booking confirmation)
For more information and other walks, see North West Wiltshire Ramblers
For general information on the Ramblers and to find other groups and walks near you, see https://www.ramblers.org.uk/
For information about the World Heritage site, see Avebury | National Trust
This walk is brought to you by our partner: